Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Starbound Ace's Goals

For the next 8 hours or so today I need to focus on doing my homework, as I typically do on a fine Wednesday.

 As a acknowledgement, I know I have only been posting about my Unity project and pretty much nothing about my GameMaker project. There are several reasons for that. The GameMaker project is done on the side, and the Unity one is actual homework, for a grade, for entertainment, and for a better future.

Anyways, I have several goals in mind today which involve scripting some new features for our game. I also want to fix a persistent issue that I had to report as a bug on github. These goals that I want to accomplish today are to implement a better smooth follow camera, implement a player death prefab, and start drafts of designing our database for the game.

A lot of this doesn't seem too crazy awesome. But I also plan on making a video of what we have so far.

I plan on accomplishing these goals in several ways. To fix the bug, I will have to do some research on SmartFoxServer's events and the data put in their BaseEvent Params for each event. Then I will come up with a solution and implement it.

Right now the game uses the supplied Unity camera follow scripts. They are fine, but not suited for a game with full 3D movement, such as flight. They are more for a platforming game, or one where the character is bound to solid earth. I want the camera to remain behind and above the player at all times with minimal drag and no snapping.

I also wish to add a player death prefab that will give visual fidelity that a player was destroyed. For the local client, this means I need to delay the room transition for a moment. This will allow a client to see themselves be destroyed as well.

Finally, I want to begin with designing the database tables we will be using for our game. So far I know that the tables I want are for registered users, game metadata, and a table of all currently active games. I hope that by implementing this, we will offer a richer user experience.

I will report back later tonight on how things went and any relevant code.

No comments:

Post a Comment