Thursday, May 1, 2014

Unreal Engine 4

Yesterday I purchased a subscription license for Unreal Engine 4. I have to say, it is great that they offer the full source code as well as the ability to build the entire engine. On top of that, after only two hours of playing around in it (including checking out, downloading, and compiling) I am in love.

I have used Unity 4 for the better part of two years now. Mostly was because of the ease of use of the scripting languages in C# and (not-really)JavaScript. This simplicity beat out the UE3 scripting language. But now, it is a whole new game.

UE4 allows for building new game objects directly in the C++ source code. This is amazing! Especially when considering that it links it to their Blueprint Visual Scripting engine. I think I will find myself working mostly in UE4 from now on - while I still get the hang of it.

With that being said, I will still be posting about Starbound Aces starting next week as it will be my last 8 weeks of class before I get my B.S. in Game and Simulation Programming.

Here is a link to Epic Game's Unreal Engine 4 - its worth it! Check it out!
https://www.unrealengine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment