Monday, May 5, 2014

The Final Stretch

I knew this day would come eventually. The beginning of the end, as the cliche goes. Today marks the last eight weeks of my time at DeVry. With it, comes the closing hours of my Senior Project - Starbound Aces.

This week we will be spending time organizing data about Alpha gameplay reviews and comments to make some bug fixes as well as fleshing out the game. However, to be quite frank, any efforts to have unbiased third parties to test the game were a complete, miserable flop. Any attempts - on two forums and a couple of social media websites - resulted in only one comment in regards to the game. Thankfully, there are some close friends and allies who were able to play the multiplayer version of the game with me and give some feedback.

Most of the feedback was as follows:

-How do I x?
-Where are you?
-Am I flying?

Indeed, a lot of that is just questions. Which means there are some things in the game that need fixing. First off, a help menu for those who don't know how to play. I spent too much time assuming that people playing would have a natural assumption of 3rd person PC gaming controls. That was ignorance on my part. Secondly, the movement/camera scripts need and overhaul in regards to the actual gameplay. This is the task of the other programmer on the team. Finally, fixing the player name displays to be locked on viewport will give players an idea where other players are at in regards to the game world. Space is too big to hide player names by not locking them to the viewport. A later screen shot will show what I mean by this.

Until next time, enjoy your game programming, because I certainly will - until it doesn't works when it was working before and I have no idea why so I just restart my computer hoping that will fix the issue but that obviously wasn't the issue because it turns out to be some stupid thing I did late at night when I was obviously too tired or drunk to remember doing it and sure I thought it was a cool thing to add into the game but it clearly wasn't a good time to put it in and of course I forgot to commit my latest changes and I already saved and closed so there is no mercy in the Ctrl+Z department which I think is stupid but oh well that is how it goes and it turns out to be that I overrode a method in a class and so the base class was not being called so really the big issue is stupidity and one line of code then that is when game programming is not enjoyable but I still enjoy it anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment