Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Game Persistence Implementation

For the past week I have been going over a lot of my school project code and figuring out what core gameplay elements still need to be added in regards to the server. If you have been keeping tabs on the github project, you can see that a lot of it was fixing code that caused errors as well as adding data persistence to the server engine.

Let us talk about the first issue at that I ran into and fixed this past week. The issue was players trying to log in twice. This was something simple to fix, remove the request to log in. Well, this caused the client to not know it was logged in and therefore I reverted that change. The second issues was automatic room removal. rooms where not being removed properly as they caused exceptions to be thrown. Turns out it was the extension's overriden destroy method causing the issue. This I found strange because the tutorials said that if I implemented the login assistant component, I needed to call the components destroy method in the extensions destroy method. Well, I removed that and have thus far to receive errors since then.

Onto the fun part now. I have added a full, new feature to the game. This is a game list that pulls up games created during your session as well as queued games created while you were picking your nose and not logged in to our game! This is very exciting as it allows for a whole list of data to be populated in the game list field. It also works, right off the bat! Unfortunately, I do not have the new Webplayer out there for the public to play just yet, but I do have all source code for it at our repository, so take a look there or even download/checkout the project and build it from source.

The final installment that I worked on in the past week was all GUI systems for the pre-login stage. Most of it was just a design change as they are using our common template. This is taking some time because I have never used Unity's built in GUI system and did not code for GUISkins. So most of the styles are hand configured and have their parameters set in the editor through public properties.

I am not sure when, but soon I will have a new game play video out as well as a walk through of all the new features. After that we will have the new player available for playing on the web. I also plan to do a desktop build as well. But first I will need to revamp the GUI for the lobby as well as the high scores.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment