Thursday, March 20, 2014

Unity Update for Senior Project

Today it is back to work for me and I won't have as much time as yesterday to get programming done. But, I do have some goals for today in regards to my Senior Project.

My goals are as follows:

Server-Client Interaction

    As it stands right now, the server takes and sends the players transforms in regards to position and rotation and sends it to the other players. It also spawns all players at 0, 0, 0. This leads to two weird effects that I need to take care of. These effects are players being ejected due to collision boxes and remote players' object rotating the farther it gets from the player.

I know what are causing these issues and I plan to fix them right away.

The issue of spawning directly causes the collision, so I will have the server generate spawn points for each player when they join a room. Secondly, the rotation viewing issue may just be due to sending localEulerAngles to the other player. I will switch it over to send rotations as quaternions.

Also, my updating is sending/receiving every frame, I need to add a delay to this. Perhaps - every 1/6th of a second.

Display Names

Wouldn't it be nice to see who you are playing? Well, I will send the players' names to each person they are in a game with. This will be a simple, but nice, and common, feature.

Lobby Chat

Yet another simple feature to add. I will allow for players to communicate with eachother via text chat. For the first revision there will only be a public room for chatting and everyone can see everything. Also, there will be a world filter.

However, I must escape work first!

After I have done all this, I will update here, and on the Unity WIP forum thread I have running found here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/235234-StarboundAces-(Senior-Project)

No comments:

Post a Comment