Wednesday, March 19, 2014

GameMaker: Studio Project and Unity Senior Project

All right, so this morning is going to be crazy as I have a lot of work to do and little time to do it.

Today, I have two goals in mind. These goals are to add combat logic to my Mystery Game made in GameMaker: Studio and to add networked player movement in my Unity Senior Project using Smart Fox Server X2.

The personal project a.k.a. Mystery Project/Game is coming along smoothly. But I have had issues fighting some distractions, like adding cool features and ridiculous enemies. I need to focus on finishing the basics. And what is more basic than AI combat? Being a small project there will only be three types of enemies that are non-unique. These enemies will be melee, ranged, and magic casters. This will also keep the art overhead low too. Considering that the world enemy AI logic is complete, I merely need to add combat in the battle arenas. (What does this all mean? You'll find out when I am ready to tell you).

As a side note, I also added combat between friendly NPCs and enemy NPCs. It is kind of cute, the enemies chase me and the friendlies chase the AI. Their combat is simple, a basic random roll of who wins. The friendlies have a 48% chance of winning (why let them do all the work) and - unlike the enemy monsters - they die permanently. Oh, and so do the civilians. This has a lot to do of what the actual game is about.

Moving on from the GameMaker: Studio engine, I have a current project in Unity for my Senior Project class.

The Unity project is pretty straight forward. We can fly ships around in a multi-player environment and blast each other in traditional FPS fashion. How is this all achieved? Well, I am working on the client-server software and have chosen to use SmartFoxServer X2 for our server software. Why? Well, extensions are easy to write in Java and it comes with the API for C#, which plugs into Unity without a hitch. Furthermore, I have worked with it before, and so am familiar with how to write the extensions, event handlers, and creating abstract wrappers for the client side. Then, I will deploy it to a remote server.

That is what I am trying to accomplish today (along with some boring reports) in regards to all of my game programming. I will soon have screen shots/videos from each of these projects so that one may feast their eyes upon it.

I will have updates by tonight.

P.S. if you want to have a look at my Senior project, both the client code and server code are on GitHub:
https://github.com/hollsteinm/GSPSeniorProject (just keep in mind to run the multi-player environment, you need to install and configure SmartFoxServer - soon you won't, but for now you do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment