Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Game Maker Graphical User Interface

So this morning I pretty much finished up all of the basic enemy AI logic (minus combat) and decided to work on the shop system. This system will be simple. The system is based more on an action game than an RPG in which you have a handful of upgrades to buy at the shop. They are not items, just upgrades. They will increase the respective ability by a small percentage, increasing in price with each use.

This lead me to start creating some kind of menu system. Simple, I have done this before in straight C++ code, all you really need is a template of the logic of a menu system - buttons, backgrounds, and messages. In GameMaker: Studio, this is simpler because it has a bunch of User Interface predefined events. It also has a separate Draw event called Draw GUI.

I implemented all of this with ease except that when I moved all of the code for the shop menu for the Draw Event to the Draw GUI Event, my buttons stopped working. So now I need to figure out how the GUI detects mouse clicks and position.

I will come up with a solution tonight and share with everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment