Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Day Before Presentation

Sweating palms...
Frantic typing...
Muttered curses...

Those are just three of the issues I am having right now with my nervous breakdown. Tomorrow we show out Alpha version of the Chain Engine for our game "Chain of Memories" (Working Title). There are a few split ends that need to be tied, and code to be forged into a working game level.

This is the end of our frantic production and tomorrow we will see if it has all paid off.

To be honest, my concern is blown out of proportion because I really shouldn't me nervous. However, as most programmers or developers, I have an urgent need to fine tune every little detail before presenting my child before critics. Not critics - per say - but they are grading me on our work and so I am nervous.

This is something school books can't teach you how to handle.

Honestly, our engine should do fine as well as our alpha version of our game, then we can get the go ahead to work on the Beta version. That will be more fun as it will mostly be design - even if I do want to revamp the graphics engine.

Our engine incorporates the following:

Graphics engine - DirectX 9.0c compatible
Sound engine - using FMOD API
Input handling - using Direct Input
Collision detection - using a custom build physics library

What we will need to incorporate later is an actually physics library ripe full of fun things like gravity and acceleration. Another addition would be to create a GUI for designing levels so that not everything is hardcoded - but rather created, saved to a file, then loaded into the main game driver. This will allow for rapid development.

Next post will be tomorrow, after the 'show and tell' of our game - complete with pictures.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment