Thursday, November 20, 2014

Continuous Integration in Azure

From my last post, many of you can tell that I just launched a test website / text-based game. This has driven me to start thinking about Continuous Integration in my projects.

Now, I learned all through school game programming and not much else in regards to some of the higher level tech management processes. Sure, there was project management and some Agile stuff thrown in, as well as using version control, but never anything on CI.

So, to help my career move forward and to provide an easier time in developing and deploying my little project, I have decided to begin implementing CI in my current project. As it stands, it should follow some basic tenets to even be considered following CI procedures. These are as follows:


  • Automatic pulling from remote repository on production branch update
  • Automatic version of files before build.
  • Automatic build process
  • Automatic unit testing
  • Automatic deployment on all tests passed
For the most part, Azure has done a lot of this for me when I linked it to my Bitbucket account and I can configure pre-build scripts as well. I plan on working on the rest of CI integration into my project in parallel of the production of features and enhancements. So the above list, currently, looks like this:

  • Automatic pulling from remote repository on production branch update
  • Automatic version of files before build.
  • Automatic build process
  • Automatic unit testing
  • Automatic deployment on all tests passed
So, really, that just leaves the unit testing (blech) and the version injection of the files. I already have a nifty script I can use for making versions, I just have to tie it into git, Bitbucket, and Azure.

If you haven't already, feel free to visit the website at http://adventuregamequest.azurewebsites.net/ and play around!

No comments:

Post a Comment