Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tiny Update (XML Parsing)

In an old post I stated that I wanted to create a content creator script that would allow the generation of levels. I was going to implement it and got a lot of work on it done, but realized that I needed to go a different route. The reason I did this was portability and compatibility.

This lead me to store data as XML and load it into the engine as a per level basis. Then each level was pointed to in the overall world. This allows for level streaming- which was my original intent. It is also significantly faster than what I originally hoped to do.

To achieve this I implemented a wrapper for rapidxml (an xml API using the MIT or Boost liscense.) The purpose of the wrapper was to decouple it from the engine and hopefully build my own one day.

As far as updates, that is about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment